Monday, September 21, 2009

Space Cowboy Costume


Here in the Bay Area we have a fun group called The Period Events and Entertainments Re-Creation Society (PEERS). They put on a ball each month with a different theme. This month they went with Space Cowboy’s. I am a big fan on Firefly so I could not resist going and seeing all the cool Firefly inspired costumes. Of course I felt it was only right that I also get a cool costume.

As much as I love Thoreau sometime I need to actively ignore him when he says “Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.” In my effort to keep my costume carbon footprint low I try to make costumes from repurposed items… or from things already in my stash. (although it is highly debatable if it is in my stash as a so far unused item if that is a way to consider my carbon footprint lowered)

So for my costume I went for a slightly Asian and leather look. I started with a long gown with a bright print. I made a leather underbust corset from a cut down skirt. The belts that cross it are not attached so all items can be transferred to future costumes. The shrug was made from a roll of leather found in someone’s attic. I used an old 60’s Chinese dress pattern and adapted it to get the look I wanted. Mostly I just cut off anything lower than the bust line. I did however change the sleeves. I tend to look horrible in cap sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment