Friday, January 28, 2011

Miner's Lettuce - A tasty, bountiful treat.

One thing I love about January in California is that my world has turned green. The golden hills and the foggy weather of the summer is several months away and now I have sunny days and green hills.

The other thing I like about January is the salad fixings growing wild out my front door. Huzzah to the return of miner’s lettuce. Miner’s lettuce is fairly mild in flavor. I find it similar to spinach. It can be eaten raw or cooked and has loads of vitamin C. I have been known to snack on this delicious plant while I am hiking along with my friends. I often get a strange look but when the brave few try it they agree how delicious it is.

As I was sitting at my desk I thought, tonight, I would treat myself to a miner’s lettuce soup and salad dinner.

My salad was simple. Some miner’s lettuce, cranberry, walnuts, goat cheese and a vinaigrette. (I think anything that adds a bit of acid, a bit of crunch and a bit of tart would be delicious)

The soup was made in my typical pattern. Throw a bunch of stuff in a sauce pan and hope for the best. This was my approximate recipe.

Fry up in olive oil until translucent

- ¼ cup diced onion

Add and cook for a minute or two

- Garlic cloves to taste (for me about 3)

- Couple pinches of thyme

- A fist sized potato – diced

- Handful of sliced cabbage

Add

- Broth

Just before done cooking add

- A couple handfuls of miner’s lettuce

When miner’s lettuce is just wilted blend soup with an immersion blender and serve

( this made one bowl)

1 comment: