Sunday, April 3, 2011

Flower Yo Yos

I have lots and lots of small pieces of fabric sitting around in my house.  I keep telling myself that ones of these days I will make a scrap quilt.  Until that happens I have been plying with my yo yo makers to create cute embellishments for sweaters, hair clips, dresses and shoes.  Today I made a few adorable gigham flowers to attach to hair pins.

Clover has several yoyo makers out on the market but I most enjoy the circle and the flower shapes.   You slide the fabric between the two pieces with the wring side of the fabric touching the piece that looks like the flower ( the left shape in the picture)  Click the pieces firmly together.



 Follow the instructions to sew the thread in the fabric.  Make sure you use a matching thread since it will show a bit and that you get all the folded over cloth caught in the stitches.  I like to overlap the first and last sections but make sure you do not sew into the knot of the first section or it will not pull properly.  Once you have down the outside edges and the center pull it off the template.



To create the center take a little bit of extra fabric or a bit of batting or cotton ball and from the right side of the fabric poke it in with your finger as you pull the thread tight around the filling.  It should look something like this.


Next pull the end of the thread on the outside edge pulling the fabric in to meet the middle.  I suggest taking your time so that the edges fold cleaning under and the gathers are mostly even. 


Now you are done.  You can sew it to anything you want.  Since tonight I wanted to look cute going out on the town I glues it to a bobby pin using a small trip of fabric and a hot glue gun.


No comments:

Post a Comment